Once you have gained permission to make a Compassion Sunday presentation from your church leader, and have registered the date of your event, it's time to plan your presentation.
Key Components of a Compassion Sunday Presentation
Here are some helpful, and time-tested components to a giving a successful presentation.
Click on each key component for sample talking points and additional tips.
Give an Introduction
Sample introduction: Hi, my name is (name). Welcome – It's great to see everyone!
Today, we are participating in a national event called Compassion Sunday. This is about children who are living in extreme poverty around the world — and what we, as followers of Jesus, can do to reach out to individual children, one by one, and help to change their stories.
I would like to begin by showing a short video that shows the powerful impact that people like us can have in the life of a child.
Choose a Video
Main Presentation Video (recommended)
Shorter Presentation Video
Share Your Experience as a Sponsor
Give the name(s) of your sponsored child(ren), and share your sponsorship story.
Use photos and letters from your sponsored child and share how sponsorship has changed your life too.
Share Biblical Verses
Give Poverty Facts
Explain How Compassion's Sponsorship Program Works
Here's how Compassion's sponsorship program works:
- Each sponsored child is served through a Christ-centered, church-based center in the neighborhood where they live.
- Each child is known by name and receives opportunities for education, health, and personal development.
- And most important of all, the child you sponsor will learn about Jesus and see the love of God expressed to him or her in a very practical way.
Give an invitation to sponsor a child
Sample invitation: Today, I want to invite you to sponsor a child of your own you can personally change through your love, prayers, letters, and support. After the service, I'll be at a table (give location) where you can choose a specific child and begin your sponsorship experience today. (Share any final thoughts as God leads you.) Thank you and please be sure to stop by the table after the service.
Helpful Speaking Tips
Practice. Practice with a timer, and rehearse out loud with all the equipment you plan on using.
Use personal stories and conversational language.
Visualize yourself giving your speech. Imagine yourself speaking, your voice loud, clear and confident.
Realize that people want you to succeed. Remember your church is rooting for you.
Relax. Pause, smile and count to three before saying anything. Transform nervous energy into enthusiasm.
Concentrate on the message. Focus your attention away from your own anxieties and concentrate on the importance of your message.
Pray & know that God is in control of the outcome!
Top Tips from Past Compassion Sunday Participants
- Many sponsors have shared with us creative ideas they have used at their Compassion Sunday event. We hope these spark other ides of your own, or please fee free to use these.
- Make it personal – read your child letters, show your sponsored child's photo, share your story!
- Ask current sponsors to stand before you begin your presentation and thank them for sponsoring.
- Read the child packets in advance of your Compassion Sunday event to become familiar with the children's stories, so that you can direct people to a child that may fit them.
- Put a poster up in your church using pictures of sponsored children that members of your church have sponsored.
- Make it a team effort. If there are other sponsors in your church, work together to create a fun Compassion Sunday event.
- Place your child's letters and pictures in a binder on your sponsorship table for people to look at.